Fort St Elmo – Enceinte Area
Fort St. Elmo occupies a strategic position at the tip of the Sceberras peninsula. During the Medieval period, this key position was already recognised and exploited. Reference to a permanent watch-post at Santo Eramo can in fact be found in the Militia Roster of 1417. Following a harsh Ottoman razzia in 1551, and various reports indicating a looming Ottaman siege, Grand Master De Homedes issued an order for the immediate erection of a fort. A star-shaped fort was constructed in circa 6 months, by military engineer Pietro Pardo, under the supervision of Knight Fra Leone Strozzi. By 1565 the fort had acquired a cavalier, a covertway, a terraille, and a ravelin which was hastily built only a few months before the Great Siege of 1565. Fort St. Elmo also played an important role during World War II.
An area fronted by the imposing Porta del Soccorso and the majestic bastions of Fort St. Elmo, which face the barrel vaulted casemates overlooking the mount of the Grand Harbour. Ideal for wedding Ceremony & Reception, Receptions, Concerts, Wine Tasting, Product Launching, Corporate Event, Dinners, Fashion Shows, Theatre, Festivals, Fairs, Outdoor Cinema, Press Conferences